Friday, June 15, 2007

Response #7

One of the major affective factors I see in the classroom is that of students who are way too shy (introvert per se). I think this is the major one that interferes with learning. As a teacher we must give students the confidence to be successful and help them understand that just because they are in a different country--they are not different. If we teach our students to understand that we are all unique no matter where you are, they may gain the confidence that may otherwise interfere with their learning. I think it is important to build a relationship with students and help them to learn about each other and others around them. In the beginning of the year I create a bunch of interactive lessons that help students open up and in some way force them to talk to each other. It really does help. I remember one student this year, he would totally block everything and everyone out--he was too worried about his stomach hurting (poor thing, he was so stressed out) I would call his name and he wouldn't respond, when he finally did he would look at me with a blank stare--I had to remind him that I was speaking in Spanish--and so he could understand me. After a while he began to do better but he still dreaded his other classes where the teacher could not communicate with him in his own language. It took time, but he eventually became confident enough to ask for help and to get involved in the classroom.

I think that many of the students I have worked with don't have much motivation because there is no one behind them pushing them to do their best. Since most of my students are of very low socioeconomic status, they don't have anyone to look up to. I definitely think that there are ways to motivate students. Although motivation comes from within, we as teachers have the power to strike the chord that motivates them. Once that is done, there is no limit to what they want to accomplish and know they are able to accomplish.

1 comment:

Ines Rodriguez said...

Terri, I agree with you as teachers we do need to give students the confidence to be successful. There shyness interferes because they won't speak up in calss and if they have questions the teacher will never know holding them back when trying to learn. Motivating these students is also critical because it makes learning easier for both the teacher and the student they tend to be more into class and also into the content matter you are teaching. Like me I find math boring and it is if you do not have the right strategies to go along with each lesson.